My dad just passed away from mesothelioma in Feb of this year. He was 72. He had worked in the oil fields all of his life and the pipelines.
It’s suspected he was exposed from brake pads on the rigs and in the pipelines themselves. It was very difficult to see him suffer the way he did the last 6 months of his life. He was only expected to live 3 months after his diagnosis, but he held on so he could see all his kids. This is a terrible disease. He suffered greatly and all because he worked to support his family for 40 years.
My dad spent 20 active years in the U.S.N. and 10 in reserves. He is very ill from being on ships most likely. He fought for our country. He refuses to know what stage it is. They kinda told him after 15 medical staff read it. It was the bad one…
My husband of 27 years Vincent Glovick lost his life to mesothelioma. It took 4 months from diagnosis to his passing and he suffered so bad it has affected my family horribly. He was a hard working family man that didn’t deserve this to happen to him because of somebody else’s negligence and or stupidity. He was exposed by second hand exposure as his father worked in ship yards etc… and he worked in places that could expose him to asbestos. As a result I lost my husband, my girls lost their father and grand children lost their grandfather forever! IT HAS TO STOP! BAN THE ASBESTOS PLEASE. This is a very horrible death. I watched him suffer and wither away. I should also share that my brother in law and sister in law both have asbestosis as well.
My family who resides in Libby & Troy, Montana, USA, is at ground zero for asbestos from the WR Grace Asbestos mine. The CARD Clinic is on back log for “diagnosing” due to only one doctor, Dr. Black, who is trying his best to serve over 3,000 clients at this time with no pathologist on staff either. The medical “help” is really in need of more specialists, as asbestos can affect you completely and there is no current cure for many asbestos related diseases. The toxicity reports for Libby are still pending, possibly to be released in 2015, but I’m still waiting for confirmation on that. Thousands of families are now affected. God help Libby and us all, as the asbestos from Libby was distributed and used around our nation.
When I was in the Navy our ship’s boiler blew up. The shipyard was brought in to fix the boiler. As they were cutting it open I was standing on fire watch with a fire extinguisher in hand and sitting next to the boiler under where they were cutting. When they removed the metal the worker discovered the asbestos. He got off the boiler and told my supervisors and then I was relieved from fire watch and was removed from the space. When myself and a few others of my shipmates tried to get medical to put it in our medical records they refused. But they did put it in the shipyard workers’ records. I was lucky because my son’s doctor put a note in my record about the incident with the dates of exposure. This is one of the incidents that made me resent and regret being in the Navy.
My Dad enlisted into the U.S. Army on November 9, 1942. Unknowingly, he was exposed to asbestos-contained products while he performed his military duties. In the early 80′s he suffered with a severe sore throat for over a year. Finally, the VA doctors told us he had a life-threatening throat cancer. They removed my Pops’ entire voice box and almost all of his vocal cords, leaving a hugh hole where the soft spot in his neck used to be. For the next ten years (and I thank God for having given us ten more years) Pop suffered with poor health, occasional terrifying events when he simply could not BREATHE, continued therapy, and a very long and deep depression as a result of his illness caused by exposure to asbestos. The manufacturing corporations knew the health risks of asbestos and chose to conceal its dangers. My Pop passed away on November 23, 1991 after a long, long struggle with this horrible disease. Please, please help us to BAN ASBESTOS in our country. This substance is still being used in paint, automotive parts and even children’s toys. Please join the movement now.
I lost one of my younger sisters to asbestos in may 2006. Our story is in our local herald today. Beverley was 46 and one of 8 sisters. She picked up the mesothelioma from our father’s work clothes. Sadly, no compensation was fast coming, so we had no opportunities to seek medication to help save her life. It’s a most shocking illness. We have not heard the last of it. On the contrary, we shall be hearing of more cases in the 40 age group. We need the right treatment here in England at no cost to ourselves.
I am an asbestos removalist and have been for 18 years.
I have reported the government of Queensland in Australia for breaches in workplace health and safety and actions which go against the code of practise for safe removal of asbestos.
If you search YouTube for MacKay west asbestos problems. You will see a video which shows how lapse the government is taking the point of asbestos. By engaging a company who are not licensed to do an friable asbestos cleanup with a domestic vacuum. The time is now that people joined forces and said ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM THIS MATERIAL it is time for change They have slandered my company for making it public and standing up and being counted and saying enough dangerous practises enough is enough.
And today in the papers again another two schools with the children in the schools contaminated why because the government in Queensland Australia are all to quick to try and hide the shameful behaviour and think they can bully me as a contractor to shut the hell up.
WELL MY MORALES HAVE NO PRICE MY MORALES ARE I WILL NOT KEEP QUITE ABOUT THIS I WISH WE COULD ALL JOIN UP AND SHOW THE WORLD HOW AS A UNIT WE CAN HELP AND GROW TO DEAL WITH ASBESTOS ISSUES.
I had never heard of Asbestos until I came to work as a customer service rep for a legal service that provides help to people who were exposed to asbestos and who had family or friends who died from an asbestos related condition, and I can not tell you how sad it is to listen to these people talk about missing the best years of their lives with their loved ones because they lost them, their lives cut short by a horrible cancer that took them away. Or the loved one who worked with asbestos for years and brought the fibers home to their family members and now they are sick…It saddens me to hear the frustration and the anger they are dealing with all for a fibrous material that they worked with. Children without parents, parents without children, spouses without spouses. I don’t understand how a fiber, known for 100 plus years to be dangerous to the health of people working with it, could still be legal!
I was diagnosed with Mesothelioma when I was 31. I was told it was from second hand exposure. I was in stage III the cancer was very aggressive. I had trouble breathing and each breath was painful. I was told I had pluerel enfussion in my left lung liner. I had up to 3 litters of fluid drained from my lung twice and then the third time was with a chest tube I had for seven days during surgery to stop the fluid buildup. During my hospital stay I met with an Oncologist who told me I could live a comfortable life with chemo treatments. He said possibly even years. I went thru chemo which made me very sick. I got worse after that and met with a surgeon in New York at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. She said by my test results and pain she thought the cancer was to far to help me but she said she would go in and look and if she could get it all she would. Otherwise she would not be able to help me. I went in for surgery not knowing my fate, I ended up getting lucky and had an extraplueral Phnuemonectomy on my left lung. I had 5 lymph nodes removed, part of a rib, my whole left lung and part of my diaphram. Recovery was so hard, I had to walk a mile a day, every day. I spend seven days in the hospital then ten days later started thirty rounds of radiation. I had to continue walking a mile a day. I was very sick from all the pain medicines. I went into a deep depression recovery didn